Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I know, it's been a while

Hello friends!
This will be short, because believe it or not, I have class in the morning. Le sigh. The joy of being a Meadows student, I guess.

Not much has been going on, except for midterms and paper-writing, but what else is new? I have gotten back into running and have successfully managed to run 6 times this last week, 2-3 miles each time, not bad! I love running outside. There is just something about it, even if it is on a track, it is nice to be outdoors for an hour or so and not be running to class or the library.

Church is going well, Sunday was good but very busy. It was Mission Sunday, which is short for "sing 'cultural' songs in the early service and have all of the mission organizations set up a table outside". I will say that I was shocked at how much stuff HPUMC does- it's really amazing. JoyfulSpirit did a GREAT JOB!! They are so dang cute and smart! It was great to see their happy and proud faces after the service; singing in the sanctuary is a big deal at HP. Those spots are prime real-estate! :) This next Sunday is the highest of holy days at HP, "Commitment Sunday", what we called "Consecration Sunday" at Oak Lawn. It involves the $$, which also calls for brass and handbells. :P So Sunday will be BUSY! (again!) 7:15am call- O Lord, have mercy.

I have been on fall break, which technically extends to tomorrow for Perkins, but as luck would have it, I have choral techniques at 8:30 in the morning at Meadows- yay! Nah, I really do enjoy that class. Dr. Elrod is pretty awesome. She was one of my favorite profs from undergrad and it has been a real treat to work with her more closely.

Religiously, things are going better. I have strangely been taking solace in some music by Mormon musicians, again. I am telling you, there is something captivating about the faith of Mormons. Some call it brainwashing, but after much investigating, it is no different than the devout faith some of us grew up with (the faith aspect, not the actual doctrine- that is VERY different!) The music published for youth and young adults is really nice. It has a different twist on the message of the mainline Christian artists, I think. It tends to be a little more relational and not so concerned with saying "Jesus" every three words as if we have forgotten who he is. I particularly love this song by Mindy Gledhill, which I think I linked on my old blog, but here it is again:




There is something really gentle, wonderful, and beautiful about the text that is real. I don't know how to describe it other than it is so genuine and not canned. I will follow this up with the fact that I still love Robbie Seay, Dave Crowder, Chris Tomlin, and the gang, but I have turned to Mindy along with Hilary Weeks, Jesse Clark Funk (she has a cool name!), Cherie Call, Katherine Nelson, and the like a lot this year. Maybe it is because these are women with an actual message that I can use? Who knows. Anyway, enjoy the song!

Have a great week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home